VW Autonomous Braking System Results in 45% drop in Injuries - VW Golf R400 Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
VW Autonomous Braking System Results in 45% drop in Injuries

A research study from the Thatcham Research Centre has found that the Volkswagen Golf and Passat models have seen a 45% decline in third party personal injury insurance claims. VW's auto-emergency braking systems were praised for being responsible for this change.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) is standard on the entire VW lineup, except for the entry-level S models. This includes the radar sensor controlled distance monitoring system Front Assist, city emergency braking and cruise control.

Quote:
According to Matthew Avery, Director of Safety at Thatcham Research, the results are based on the equivalent of over 7,000 Mk VII Golf models that have full 12-month insurance on the road. These are generated from claims data as reported by its insurance members. He shared that they were surprised when the figures surpassed their own performance tests.
There is plenty more information about the ACC system in this article.

This should be great news for anyone thinking of buying anew VW since it means that you are buying a car that has become quite a bit safer in just the past while since the ACC system was first made standard.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 PM

As always statistics will never paint the picture properly. 45% vs what, under what conditions? I could see the increase being that massive if they did a comparison between manual braking and auto braking while following at 50 mph less than 2 feet from the rear bumper in front.

Or its better at auto braking when the driver is distracted?

The data needs to be skewed this way otherwise the conclusion we would come to is that people could benefit from paying more attention. But that line of reasoning isn't desired by automakers because you paying attention isn't a product they can sell, but what they can sell are products that allow you to not pay attention

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
As always statistics will never paint the picture properly. 45% vs what, under what conditions? I could see the increase being that massive if they did a comparison between manual braking and auto braking while following at 50 mph less than 2 feet from the rear bumper in front.

Or its better at auto braking when the driver is distracted?

The data needs to be skewed this way otherwise the conclusion we would come to is that people could benefit from paying more attention. But that line of reasoning isn't desired by automakers because you paying attention isn't a product they can sell, but what they can sell are products that allow you to not pay attention
Basically, if it isn't a product they can package and sell, it doesn't fly.
They know solutions sell so why not!

Telling people what they can do with what they already have only costs them money

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
Basically, if it isn't a product they can package and sell, it doesn't fly.
They know solutions sell so why not!

Telling people what they can do with what they already have only costs them money
They're not selling you solutions, the're selling you band aids for gunshot wounds.

each 'solution' then eats away at another subset creating yet another catastrophic problem that needs to be dealt with swiftly and seriously by all parties involved otherwise we're in for certain fiery death.

VW says we'll do the braking for you. You say well why not gas too, its unsafe to have the discrepancy. VW says ok we'll do that too. You say well what about the steering, I cant steer if I can't gas and brake, the system will get confused. VW says fine we'll do that too. Before you know it you're little more then a dog with its head out the window, tongue flapping in the breeze...

Oh and it wouldn't cost them any money at all, it would sacrifice the potential for future growth in profit

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:46 PM

True say.

Big responses to small problems, But no fun in not doing this

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
True say.

Big responses to small problems, But no fun in not doing this
At this point I dont even consider them big response I consider them obfuscations. When they tell me that I need auto braking to save me from rear ending the truck in front of me the first thing I think is why would I be following the truck in front of me that close?

The commercials for these products all show someone not paying attention to the road and being deus ex machina'd by the software systems. The marketing creates the behaviour that can only be solved by their 'solution'. We show you normal distracted drivers in order to tell you its ok for you to be distracted because we're paying attention for you.

It normalizes dependency and it makes me sick.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Good for bringing in the dollars

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm sure that this tech is saving some people from crashing. As long as those people are being helped, I support the technology. Though I do agree that this is likely the best interpretation of the data that they could do.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
I'm sure that this tech is saving some people from crashing. As long as those people are being helped, I support the technology. Though I do agree that this is likely the best interpretation of the data that they could do.
Thats like saying we could save people from dying of natural causes by shooting them. They're not being helped they're being bred as dependant on the car to drive for them, not the other way around.

The things you own end up owning you...

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:42 PM

Its scary if you think about it, rolling objects in the 4 figure range with folks that are depending on it and the tech it has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Golf R400 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page