VW to Transform New Cars into "Smartphones On Wheels" - VW Golf R400 Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
VW to Transform New Cars into "Smartphones On Wheels"

Quote:
“We are in the process of reinventing Europe’s largest automaker,” Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn said ahead of the Frankfurt International Motor Show that starts this week. “By 2020, we will have transformed all of our new cars into smartphones on wheels.”
The move is in reaction to Apple, Google and Tesla. VW wants to develop fuel-efficient models that provide more media connectivity for the wired lifestyle of modern consumers.

While this is the way that I expect the whole auto industry to be moving, I am not sure how I feel about it. The future will be one where kids today ask parents what it was like to actually drive cars. It will be weird.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ones-on-wheels
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Volkswagen is looking to enable its cars to send and receive data as well as drive on their own
So they're going to start developing the self driving car that Google has almost perfected. Good luck with that because I'm sure Google and Apple won't be sharing what took them years to develop.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfDriver View Post
So they're going to start developing the self driving car that Google has almost perfected. Good luck with that because I'm sure Google and Apple won't be sharing what took them years to develop.
I know right, being that long into the development process and showing us what they have sure says something about the progress they've made.

And with them possibly coming to market much sooner there's a chance they'll secure far more fleet sales and scoop up a lot of that market as well as with regular consumers.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 PM

They can develop their own but VW won't sell much of their firs self driving model until there's more competition other than Google and Apple.
Will be interesting to see which one will come out on top between Google and Apple. We can probably look at their mobile device sales as a judge on their popularity. Which one is more popular? Andriod or Apple?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM

I want to say Apple will come out on top due to the types of products they have and how well they sell and how much people love them, but Google has a lot of good things to bring to the table... but then again products are key and Apple has just that.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The Apple Car will be higher end than the Google Car in my opinion. Apple is going to enjoy a lot of success, and I think Google will as well. Seems to me that the Google car will be cheaper.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:52 PM

Starting to seem like Apple might just have the most futuristic looking thing to come out. and getting people to buy might not be a problem at all with how good they've been with selling the devices they've sold already.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM

If you take away the wheels the apple concept car looks like a computer mouse.

Let's hope they come out for consumer purchase soon because more competition is coming in the form of the Chevrolet volt self driving car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Soon is something I highly doubt they're highly concerned about, with the hype they can generate on it when the competition is ready is enough to get people to wait for Apple.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM

The Apple car concept looks interesting but Google may come out with a new design once they have perfected the operating system. Hard to compare without seeing a test model from Apple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Golf R400 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page