Clutch feel - VW Golf R400 Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Clutch feel

For the R400, are you guys looking for a heavy racing clutch, or something more akin to the manual transmission feel in a GTI?

My Golf R400 (or Golf R420, whatever they name it) is going to be a daily driver, so I'm hoping the gearbox and clutch feel more like the unit in a new Mk7 GTI. Accurate, not too heavy or too light, with a good amount of clutch feel. Perfect for every day driving.

I'm looking forward to test driving an R400 to make sure it's right for me. Have any of you ever backed out of a car deal because of poor transmission feel?

A few years back, I was all jazzed up to buy a new Infiniti G37S Coupe. I thought the car was just so cool, and loved the idea of 300+ hp and Infiniti reliability. I ordered one exactly the way I wanted and couldn't wait to take delivery.

Then I drove it. Good g-d, what a disaster that manual transmission was. Horrible feel. Vibrating shifter in idle. Just awful. I cancelled right then and there.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Manual feel!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:04 PM

I'd give up hope that its going to feel like an MK7 GTI. The R400 is going to kick out so much more power that VW will need heavier clutch plates out of necessity. Especially f it puts out the kind of torque it sounds like it might... then again they could work around it with longer spring fingers which they could use to give a lighter feel still capable of maintaining the pressure needed for the power...

But I have no clue really

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 PM

What ever they do hopefully it's going to be the right thing for this car, a setup that goes with its capabilities and all thats required of it.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
Manual feel!
True, I should have titled my post to reflect the idea that we are talking about the feel of manual transmissions as an entire system. However it feels, it's going to heavily color my impressions of the car.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverlose View Post
True, I should have titled my post to reflect the idea that we are talking about the feel of manual transmissions as an entire system. However it feels, it's going to heavily color my impressions of the car.
this is a fair point actually. its more then just clutch feel, does it shift slick, is the gating nice and tight, to even go one further, is it ratioed correctly?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 PM

Yes that is important.

I just hope VW puts forward the effort to get some folks behind it for feedback before we finally can.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:43 PM

ideally, as less of a racing gearbox as possible. you want a hefty clutch, everyday, in traffic perhaps? no thank you

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 06:55 PM

I wouldn't want to put up with it everyday but maybe the fridays to the office and the long weekend trips to the track i'll be okay with.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I have driven plenty of VW Group products, and so far have not found a manual I didn't like, so I'm optimistic the R400 will turn out fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Golf R400 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page